Hiromix (1996) Girls Blue
A very rare and sought after photobook through the eyes of a young Japanese girl, my personal favorite. The spread on the lower frame is the best in the whole book.
Chino Otsuka : Imagine Finding Me
Chino Otsuka uses photography and video to explore the fluid relationship between the memory, time and photography. At age 10 she moved from Japan to the United Kingdom to attend school. Her experience of becoming familiar with a new place, a different language and new customs while she was developing her adolescent identity has profoundly shaped her work in photography, video and writing. Her series Imagine Finding Me consists of double self-portraits, with images of her present self beside her past self in various places she has visited. As Otsuka says: “The digital process becomes a tool, almost like a time machine, as I’m embarking on the journey to where I once belonged and at the same time becoming a tourist in my own history.” - via AGO
I am unexpectedly weepy looking at this.
Jee Young Lee, a young Korean artist, creates surreal dreamscapes without the use of Photoshop in her 3,6 x 4,1 x 2,4-meter studio in Seoul. She has spent a few weeks to months building each of her small self portraits and has put together an exhibition called the “Stages of Mind”. Check out more of her work <here>
Titles (left to right): “Treasure Hunt”, “Maiden’s Voyage”, “Nightspace”, “Birthday”, “Childhood”, “Panic Room”, “Resurrection”, “The Little Match Girl”, “Broken Heart”, “Black Birds”
You can make anything pop punk see watch
pop punk bananas
- “Eat” the damn Play-doh cookies.
- Slurp the invisible soup.
- Pretend that they’re not causing grievous bodily harm as they “brush” your hair.
- Always be serious when asked what you’d like for dinner, and never say something silly like rabbit soup. Because they will go get their stuffed one off the bed, put it in your best pot, and fill said pot with water. Then place it on your desk.
- Greet their make believe friends and ask how their day was.
- Always kiss the teddy bear goodnight. It has feelings too.
- Always pretend to die when they shoot you.
- If you are having a fake war with them and you shoot them and they say they can’t die because they are invincible, you don’t shoot them again, because they are invincible.
- Yes, their drawing does look like a butterfly, not a bunch of jumbled up lines.
- Them pounding on the piano is the best thing you have ever heard.
no but seriously it’s very important to a child’s development to not be shut down by parents and other caregivers
Hwacheon, South Korea
Before 1900, Hwacheon was extremely sparsely populated, with only a few small villages alongside major rivers, due to its rugged terrain and harsh winters. Hwacheon Dam was completed in 1944 and the electricity it generated proved to be a boon. However, it was also source of conflict during the Korean War due to its strategic value as both a power plant and potential weapon (by intentionally flooding downstream areas). It ended up well inside allied territory with the establishment of the DMZ to the north in 1953.
Take me there, let my mind be at peace